Series 2: Experimented with different colour splashes. Still love the reds, had to revert to them. The green has some potential as does the orange and grey. The blue lacked quite considerably. There’s always that moment after I’ve applied the first layer of black ink to the biro lines that I worry – shall I stop now. Will I overwork it? But these keep coming so I can afford to take these risks! It also helps to take a before and after photo so I can compare and weigh up the decisions.
After this I completed my postcard for the SAA competition I received.
I wanted to disintegrate the colours from the form of the top section, painted by Jennifer, then I also wanted to pick up the lines from the buildings and draw these down into the lower section as if they were raggedy roots from which the building had grown. I wanted to create a sense of the underground home from which the buildings had evolved.
Series 3: I wanted to go tinier still and played with miniatures on a paired composition: 2 mini paintings within a 3″x4″ card. I had found a mini window mount and wondered what the impact of this would be. I decided to stick to biro and ink and remain with a monochrome palette.
I like how I can keep rotating these until I find the final hanging that seems most effective (and that isn’t always the direction they’ve been painted!)